Greg McCallum’s NSWRLRA graded number is 717 and he was graded from the Manly Warringah Referees Association in the early 1980’s.
In his district he was awarded the Jim Campbell Trophy in 1981.
Greg had an impressive career with a total of 267 First Grade, State of Origin, Grand Finals and International appointments.
His initial First Grade Appointment was on August 7, 1983 at Lidcombe Oval between the Magpies and the Sharks with a crowd of 2,542. Eleven years later after a distinguished on-field career Greg retired. His final game was the 1994 Winfield Cup Grand Final (and third) between the Raiders and the Bulldogs. He was appointed along with Touch Judges Steve Betts & Brian Bonnie, In-Goal Judges were Peter Bungate & John Belgre. Played at the Sydney Football Stadium on Sunday 25 September in front of a crowd of 42,234. Although he retired on a huge milestone there was so much more to come for Greg in the world of refereeing and rugby league.
Career highlights and achievements –
- World Cup – Papua New Guinea v Great Britain at Lloyd Robson Oval, 22MAY1988
- State of Origin game 3 decider at the Sydney Football Stadium, 21JUN1988
- World Cup – New Zealand v Papua New Guinea at Carlaw Park, Auckland, 10JUL1988
- Championship – Wigan v Halifax at Central Park Wigan, 15JAN1989
- Championship – Great Britain v France at Central Park Wigan, 21JAN1989
- Championship – France v Great Britain at Parc des Sports d’Avignon (Avignon), 5FEB1989
- State of Origin – game 3 at Lang Park Brisbane, 28JUN1989
- Championship – Wigan v Barrow at Central Park Wigan, 15OCT1989
- Great Britain v New Zealand at Old trafford, 21OCT1989
- Great Britain v New Zealand at Elland Road Leeds, 28OCT1989
- Championship – Barrow v Wakefield at Trinity, Craven Park (Barrow-In-Furness)
- Great Britain v New Zealand – at Central Park Wigan, 11NOV1989
- City v Country – at the Sydney Football Stadium, 25APR1990
- State of Origin – game 2 at Olympic Park Melbourne – the first SOO game in Melbourne and a crowd of 25,800
- Great Britain v France – at Headingly Leeds, 16FEB1991
- World Cup – New Zealand v Papua New Guinea at Mount Smart Stadium Auckland, 05JULY1992
- Grand Final – Broncos v Dragons at the Sydney Football Stadium, 27SEP1992
- State of Origin- games 1 and 3 both at Lang Park Brisbane, 3rd and 31MAY1993 respectively
- Grand Final – Broncos v Dragons at the Sydney Football Stadium, 26SEP1993
- Great Britain vs New Zealand – at Wembley Stadium, 16OCT1993
- City v Country – City v Country – at Parramatta Stadium, 23APR1993
- Great Britain v New Zealand – at Wembley Stadium, 16OCT1993
- Championship – at BEL VUE Wakefield v Wines, 22OCT1993
- Great Britain vs New Zealand – at Central Park Wigan, 30OCT1993
- Great Britain vs New Zealand – Headingly Leeds, 06NOV1993
- Great Britain vs New Zealand – QEII Stadium Brisbane, 01JUN1994
- Grand Final – Raiders v Bulldogs at the Sydney Football Stadium, 25SEP1994
- Greg’s career in league was so much more and it went further than refereeing…his open Facebook page details his impressive history.
- Highlights of his final game – the 1994 Winfield Cup Grand Final – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_1Y6e6s2K0
· Worked at Rugby Football League
· Former General Manager HR & Administration at NSW LEAGUES CLUB
· Former Match Review Chairman at NRL – National Rugby League
· Former Executive Director at SPORTS FEDERATION NSW
· Former Executive Director at Rugby Football League
· Studied at Alexander Mackie CAE
· Studied A bit of everything – Year 6 at Cromer Public School
· Went to Beacon Hill High School
· Went to Condell Park High School
· Lives in Sydney, Australia
· Married to Carolyn McCallum
· From Sydney, Australia
Apologies for the late posting yet with work and the detail needed required appropriate time for such a career.