General Meeting 7th July 2014

Minutes of the General Meeting 7th July 2014

 

GENERAL MEETING

Date:

7.07.14

Time:

6.40 p.m

Location:

Sports House, Sydney Olympic Park, HOMEBUSH.

Present:

As per Attendance Sheets  ( 50  in attendance)

Apologies:

Frank Leonard, Dennis Spagarino, Daniel Luttringer, Max Dunn, Tony de las Heras, Brendan Lucas, On league Business the following Steve Clark (Darwin 18’s), Ashley Klein, Gavin Reynolds, Adam Reid, Grant Atkins, Steve Chiddy, Kasey Badger, Ziggy Prezlasa-Adamski, Daniel Olford – all on at ANZ Stadium.

Guests:

Robert Culkin – Ambassador of NSWRLRA (turning 98 on Saturday)

Minutes and Actions of this Meeting

Opening remarks and Welcome from Chairman – thanked those who attended funeral of Jack O Sullivan, 100 referees from various associations, Jack did a lot of great work for referees and Rugby League in general.  Minute silence for Jack O Sullivan.

Acceptance  of  Apologies.   Moved,  Peter Filmer   Seconded.  Tony Danks  Carried.

Business Arising from Previous Minutes .

Nil

 Confirmation of  Previous Minutes. Moved, Brien Gately Seconded. Brian Barry   Carried.  

Board Minutes Summaries from 29.05.14 and, 03.07.14 were tabled.

BUSINESS ARISING. Nil

ADOPTION OF BOARD  MINUTES.  Moved, Damian Briscoe Seconded Brett Lynch.   Carried.

Executive Officer: Mr Frank Leonard (Apology) Doug Keen acting Executive Officer

Item

Action

Due Date

  • Correspondence In

 

  • Correspondence Out

 

 

 

 

 

Chairman asked for item regarding Police RL Referees Association disaffiliation to be read to meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Moved Sean Hampstead acceptance of Correspondence. Seconded Steve Betts  CARRIED.

 

  • Attendances

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • On-Line Level 1 Course, Wollongong

 

 

 

 

 

  • South Australia Referees’ Association

 

 

 

 

  • Registration of Revised Constitution

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • NRL Squad Proposed Association and 2014 Membership Fees.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • A.R.L.R.A

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Selection of Referees for the U/12 National Championships

 

 

 

 

  • Ground Facilities for NSWRLRA Active Members

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • C.R.L.R.A Referees’ Clinic

 

Items 05314-07314 tabled for discussion

 

Items 140147-14608 tabled. 2 new items send out to Newtown Jets and Peninsula Seagulls re referees change room issues.

 

Item 14058- Read by Executive officer, no questions from the floor.

Chairman Expressed and acknowledged the hard work, leadership of the Police association, and all referees that took part in the comp over many years. Providing refereeing services and the association acknowledges and thanks all involved for their contribution to Rugby League.

 

.

 

Illawarra Association Meeting. (9.6.14)  Reported on NSWRLRA and an On-Line Course I registered where 19 candidates have applied.

Meeting with BJ Mather and T.Danks re SMP. Paul Simpkins also in attendance

Initial Meeting with T.Danks and D.Keen re the All Schools Carnival. Accommodation booked for Affiliated States and New Zealand referees and

Officials.

 Graded Squad Training and Chicken Feast.

Canterbury Association’s Presentation Evening.

Junior Reps. Squad Presentation Evening.

 Organised and conducted a Face to Face Course  in the Illawarra for 10 candidates on the 15th June. Another planned for the 29th June for 8 candidates.  Conducted a Level 2 Face to Face Course on the 2nd July, 2014.                                                                                               

Long telephone conversation with Graeme Glendenning ( President of Referees Association) re possible strategy to deal with a Club Coach who

persists in abusing referees and with whom the S.A.R.L  refuses to take any action.

Following telephone conversation with The Registrar in Bathurst, re-submitted the application to have changes to the 2009 Version approved. Revised Constitution is not the Association’s Constitution until approval for the amendments is received.  In future, any proposed amendments MUST be approved by the NSWRL prior to being put to a General Meeting as a Special Resolution. Further, the next time amendments are made a completed

Revised Constitution is to be forwarded to the NSW Department t of Fair Trading.

Spoke with Silvio Del Vecchio re the intentions of the NRL Squad. He reported that they had put off the

Establishment of their own Association until 2015. I said that fees would therefore be required to be paid by the 30th June. He said it was tardiness rather than antipathy that had seen them fail to commit. I spoke to Jimmy re follow up of this conversation and he

forwarded an e-mail to all members of the Squad.

A Special Resolution to wind up the A.R.L.R.A and disperse any assets was called for the 12th July. I will be overseas but gave my proxy vote to S.Betts  and indicated which way I would vote as a Director. P.Simpkins is invited to attend the meeting as the NSWRLRA representative and will have voting rights.  Since then a proposal has come from D.Spagarino to permit a new Board and  C.E.O  elected from the Affiliated States to continue the life of the A.R.L.R.A to give the Affiliated States a voice at the National level. I have indicated my opposition to this proposal for a number of reasons but discussed them with the Chairman prior to departure overseas.                                                                                 

Further, the meeting clashes with a Meeting of the CRLRA Executive and  Delegates  to  which Paul and I have been invited.

 Attended NSW U/11 Championships at

 Woolooware with  D.Keen and  assessed 11 referees with a view to selecting two. Jackson Petersen (Penrith) and Josh Bradstock ( Cronulla) selected

Together with T.Danks attended a

meeting  on 29.6.14 with Cassie Lawry 

( NRL) to discuss facilities improvement.

 Survey passed to D.Trodden in April to                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

be given to Cassie had not been

handed on. Action now occurring that

involves letters from F.Leonard to                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Cabramatta, Guildford and Mounties

Leagues Clubs, Bruce Walker to                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

become involved, Grounds to be                                                                                                             

visited and cost estimates developed                                                                                                              

and application to be made for                                                                                                           

 financial assistance from two  Grant

 areas :- (i) Community Building                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

 Partnership (ii) Sport and Recreation

Participation Facility programme                                                                                                                                                                                                                           .Three Grounds to be targeted  immediately are T.G.Milner, Lionel

Watts at Belrose and Lidcombe Oval.  

Travelled to Canberra on 1.7.14 and assisted Dave Munro, Adam Gee, Pat Walsh, Willy Barnes and three other Regional Development Officers with a one day clinic for 30 referees from Canberra, Group 9, Group 20 and Illawarra.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

 

Director of Referee Development : Mr Greg McCallum

Item

Action

 

  • Judiciary

 

Director has been at numerous judiciary hearings with NSWRLRA members and has been impressed by the evidence produced by our officials with only 1 camera angle, referees gave accurate information on biting and gouging allegations.  Looked at bite mark and eye gouge.  Well done.

 

70th All Schools great to have Robert Culkin present who actually was at the first All Schools.

 

Programs available at NSW Leagues Club if you want to look at old appointments anytime.

 

31st July event at NSW Leagues Club with grade squad and board attending, where Upstairs Bar will be renamed “Laurie Daley Bar.” Board to meet prior to that event at the club.

 

Thanked Doug Keen for difficult job of presenting Eulogy for Jack O Sullivan who did a great job under tough circumstances.

 

 

 

 

 

Director of Finance : Mr Jimmy Oliveira

Item

Action

 

  • Newcastle/Parra/Uni Cup Associations

 

  • Souths Referees Sponsorship

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • “Stepping Stone” Partnership

 

 

 

 

 

  • 2014 Membership Fees

Awaiting C and D applications for grants.

Souths referees

Missed out on sponsorship re Good Guys locals store looking at a Sports Betting Agency, – D Keen stated that a letter has been forwarded to Junior League Association from Souths refs to consider, thoughts were the sponsorship of referees by a betting agency and junior referees is not a good look.

 

Stepping Stone Sponsorship offer to associations, 2.5 K to affiliates where leads result in house /property sales.  Damien Briscoe to send out marketing information to Associations.

 

Fees from Grade and Junior Reps in, 21 NRL referees working at getting others in , Jimmy spoke to Silvio De Vechio re Part Time ref payment, as well as touch judge payments of fees.

Members must pay membership fees by 30h September to be in the Annual

Report, send payment to Director of Finance and to use your name as a reference.

 

 

 

 

Director of Affiliate Liaison : Mr Doug Keen

Item

Action

 

  • NRL Ref for a day

 

 

 

  • All Schools’ Carnival

 

 

  •  Attendances

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Junior Representative Squad Nominations, 2015.

 

 

 

  • National Referees Accreditation Scheme

Program nearly completed for year,

thanks to Tony Archer and squad for

 fully supporting it.

 

All School nominations needed now to

complete appointments.

 

Attended Balmain referees meeting.

100 years of Catholic Schools Rugby League.

Jun Rep presentation night was very

 successful and all had a great and safe

 night.

 

Nominations in for Junior Reps from

Associations for possible inclusion in

2015.

 

NRAS Report, Level 1 and 2 completed

with affiliate Norfolk Island, 3 new level

 3’s completed. Level 1 held on July

with 19 participants.

 

 

 

Director of Member Services : Mr Luke Bugden

Item

Action

 

  • Presentation Night

 

  • Referees Social Golf Day

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • New Association Tie

 

 

Due to double booking now on Friday 14 November.

Inaugural Day at Marrickville Golf Club , 12 members played on Friday 4th July, had great time.  Steve Clapson outlined the day and stated won by Sean Hampstead and Frank Leonard.  Next Day is on 22nd August 8.45am at Bexley, looking at different days of week after that.

 

Ties have been ordered and will be given to new members and Graded members and others available for purchase.

 

 

 

Director of Marketing & Communication: Mr George Jankowski

Item

Action

 

  • Twitter/Facebook
  • Hits Social Media
  • Information

 

 

  • Anzac Day, 2015

Now have 1000 plus followers

New record of 25,207 hits in June

If any Association has any stories to

share please let me know to distribute.

 

Director has an idea about a possible

medal to be given to the referees who

officiate on Anzac Day, obtaining more

details from ex serving members of

armed forces, who are referees, work in

progress for season 2015. Deadline by

AGM this year.

 

 

 

Chairman: Mr Paul Simpkins

  • State of Origin   Presentation

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Newly Graded members

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Member Milestones

Attended State of Origin dinner on 16th June at Leichhardt with NRL on field officials along with Ian McCall and Brien Gately, who were involved in the first year of SOO games. Stated was a good night for those involved and thanked Tony Archer for allowing this to happen, remembering the history of the Association and our officials. Letter to be sent to Tony thanking him.

Ian and Brien both responded and agreed on how proud they were to be invited to the dinner and thanked the Association for its involvement.

 

New Members welcomed and then   given Association badges and Certificates by Chairman

974  Darian Furner- Central Coast

975 Kieran Irons – South Sydney

976 Ben Teague- Newcastle

 

Congratulations to Faye Breslin who is expecting child late this year.

 

Also to Robert Culkin on his upcoming 98th Birthday on .

 

 

Acceptance of Reports:  Moved: Matt Damaso, Seconded Stan Watson. Carried

 

 

General Business

 

  1. 1.      Chairman congratulated Peter Filmer on his OAM award for services to Sport, Coaching and Administration, Peter responded saying the Association assisted getting the award, good reason why the Association exists.
  2. 2.      Next Referees Bowls Day is August 24 at Newcastle and thanks to Matt Hewitt for Sponsoring the bowlers.
  3. 3.      NRL Schools Legends day is on 21st July August with All Girls Day e mail to come out to Associations trying to get as many female referees there on the day as possible.
  4. 4.      Congratulations to all NRL Officials who have been appointed in the first two State of Origin games and the upcoming final game.
  5. 5.      Strategic Planning Session to be held on 12th August as a working Party to get the plan together, invites to be sent out. Object to get a clear, plan, vision and prosperous future for the Association.
  6. 6.      Steve Betts asked about update on ARLRA and a meeting on the following weekend is scheduled, and will report on what happens at next meeting.

 

 

 

            Meeting closed at 7.30p.m

 

            Next Meeting: Monday September 1st, 2014

 

CHAIRPERSON……………………………………..

Read More Like This

Vale Jack Danzey

It is with great sadness to report that one of our Association’s greats Jack Danzey #634 has passed away. Jack…